Monday, October 12, 2015

Starbucks, what happened to you?

It used to be my favorite coffee caffe when I lived in Seattle. The smell of a fresh grind, the cozy leather arm chairs, the warm glow of a fireplace and great jazz. I would read, then write in my journal, watch the customers and sip my double espresso with steamed breva. I was content to be wrapped in one of many perfect moments. Often, a person sitting close would comment on something I was reading or I would make reference outloud about how good the coffee tastes or "isn't it a lovely day" and a conversation would ensue. Beautiful memories of a simpler time. No cell phones, no iPads, books and journals were the things you treasured. I loved the covers, the lined paper redolent of an old bookstore.

But alas, in life there are no constants. Thing change.  Now the cafes have moved out the comfy chairs replaced with hard chairs and tables, they don't grind beans each time they make a beverage, they don't pull shots and most every order looks more like whip cream dessert with maybe a little coffee in it to fill up the cup.

People with heads down, no eye contact, barely a smile. We have created a society the doesn't connect with one another, but insists on sitting among one another. Why? Just stay home. Coffee is cheaper, no lines, no distractions. I make a better espresso than most cafes in Boise except Cafe 'darte. My bread is fresh baked, my spreads are all organic, my soups are homemade, I can build a huge fire and do not have to fight to get a window seat. There must be a reason why people still show up at these watering holes. We must need the connection, but when we have the opportunity we don't look up, unless it is a friend you haven't seen for awhile who shows up. Nice surprise, so you sit across from one another checking your phones in between conversations about themselves. When was the last time your friend has asked you how you are doing and then takes a moment to listen to what you have to share, before starting in on their own wild and captivating adventures with way too much detail. Before you answer just a minute, I got a text and need to respond right now.

 Don't get me wrong I like my iPad and iphone too, but I like people more, or I did until social media set a new standard of antisocial behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment